Followers

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SHOP CRITIQUE UPDATE 1st


Written by Katie of Simply Katies



Okay, so if you're following my progress I hope you're taking notes of the improvements I'm making just for you. My homework is coming along nicely I think, but I'll let you be the judge !

Here is my first update:  Product photos and a bit of branding.

Taking product photos is not an easy task,  there's so much to look at and as much time is spent in positioning your product and setting your lighting just right.  Less time is spent in the editing process if you use a good program. I had been using Picasa, a freeware application downloaded from the web, to edit my photos but I have been turned on to a preloaded program from Microsoft called Picture Manager.  What a difference it made in the quality of my product photos, take a look.














https://www.etsy.com/listing/112325969/beaded-gemstone-and-pearl-bracelet
The top photo was edited in Picasa, the bottom in MS Picture Manager - See what I mean - happy differences.  The bottom photo is cleaner and shows product detail clearly and the sponge adds interest to the photo without detracting from the natural beauty of my gemstone and pearl bracelet.  There are no distorting shadows or ugly touch- ups trying to hide the glare from misaligned lighting.



 https://www.etsy.com/listing/112327862/beaded-gemstone-and-pearl-bracele

The advice of using an object to add interest is pleasing to the eye as it lifts the product off the coldness of the sterile white background that reminds me of a doctors's office.  I chose a natural sea sponge because it reflects my brand style of using natural elements like gemstones,  pearls, coral and metals found in our natural earthy surroundings.

When I was thinking about what props I would use in photos, it was important for me to think about the message I want to send to customers about my company and products. Your product photos become part of your image and when trying to build a cohesive brand,  it's best practice to think about your brand style and target demographic first and foremost.  Think about what appeals to them>  Put another way - think like your customer.  For instance the SK brand style is casual elegant designs in distinctive ,  minimalist and natural styles.  Therefore it wouldn't benefit my product to place it with or advertise in sporting or motorcycle magazines because it doesn't appeal to the " manly men" does it?


When I was thinking about what props I would use in photos, it was important for me to think about the message I want to send customers about my company and products. Your product photos become part of your image and when trying to build a cohesive brand, it's best practice to think about your brand style and target demographic first and foremost. Think about what appeals to them? Put another way - think like your customer. For instance the SK brand style is casual elegant designs in distinctive, minimalist and natural styles. Therefore it wouldn't benefit my product to place it with or advertise in sporting or motorcycle magazines because it doesn't appeal to the "manly man" does it?
















https://www.etsy.com/listing/116292423/pearl-post-earrings-handmade-earrings

Rather and because my casual elegant , distinctive, minimalist and natural styled jewelry product appeals to women between the ages of 35 and 55,  I chose a "spa like"  effect for my customers benefit.  Here I think the sponge is a bit over-powering for these dainty pearl fine and sterling silver post earrings. So be looking for photos with sea glass and tumbled river pebbles,  a bit more proportionate for earrings I think,  and still in line with my brand.


But I've really rambled on too long and I must get back to making these product photo improvements - and more jewelry.  Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read.  I enjoyed your visit!  Come back next wee I'll have another up date, new photos and share more of what the SK Brand is all about.

No comments:


Post a Comment



No comments:

Post a Comment